Charles Schwab Senior Manager - Service Availability Engineering in Austin, Texas
Austin - TX, AUSTIND, 12301 Research Blvd, 78759
We believe that , when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck at http://www.aboutschwab.com/about/leadership/charles_schwab over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for talented, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
Schwab is looking for a Sr. Manager who will be responsible for creating and managing a new “Run Team” for Enterprise Middleware and Online Security Team. This leader will own end-to-end availability and performance to ensure High Availability of mission critical Enterprise Middleware and Online Security Platforms. With a sense of urgency, the leader should drive Production Support best practices, processes and tools, automation to prevent recurrence and eventually automate responses for all non-exceptional service conditions. Our ideal candidate is a servant leader who can lead multiple parallel initiatives – big and small - with attention to detail, manage business partner expectation and is passionate about High Availability.
What you’ll do:
· Leading technical teams in highly scalable and reliable applications that meet business budgets/timelines while ensuring alignment to strategic technology vision.
· Managing day-to-day activities and influence team members to leverage, follow and support agile software development practices; includes the following:
o Develop and document resourcing roadmaps, budgets and schedules
o Ensure team is properly engaged, aware of career milestones/path, aware of their role on the team and how it relates to others, lastly aware of their contributions to our overall goals
o Lead all recruiting activities across the team (create different avenues when necessary)
o Identify and document the roles, tasks, and responsibilities of each team member
· Assist the 'Run' and 'Support' teams in building durable systems/applications and ensuring a low MTTR (mean time to resolution).
· Identify gaps/risks early and establish mitigation plans (both technically & with regards to resources)
· Increase the overall visibility of this team; celebrate/track accomplishments and build relationships with key leaders in other groups
· Continually strive for improvements in process, talent acquisition/retention, application time-to-market and quality.
· Provide hands-on technical coding and mentoring when necessary (plus)
What you have:
4+ years of software development management/leadership experience with at least 1 year focused on Security Technologies
· Combined 10+ year’s of hands-on Software development / Project Management / Scrum Master experience
· Versatile and Deep knowledge of Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
· Experience in the following:
· Proficient in managing multiple priorities in a dynamic, geographically dispersed environment
· Deep understanding of SDLC, agile software development methodologies, values, and procedures
· Ability to analyze, propose and implement timely, cost effective, quality solutions for all issues or problems within area of responsibility
· Strong influencing, negotiation, and, problem-solving skills with an ability to identify stakeholders, assess their needs and manage their expectations through effective communication
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills required for composing and delivering technical presentations or other forms of documentation to various level of technical and non-technical management
· Strong coaching and mentoring experience to build and sustain a high performance team
· Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or related fields is required.
· Financial Industry experience (plus)
Develop processes and procedures to ensure High Availability of the platforms
Educate peers about processes, standard and technologies
Run Responsibilities include
Provide dedicated Production and Test environment support and ensure a low MTTR (Mean Time To Resolution)
Release Management and after-hours deployments
Identify repetitive, manual tasks and automate them
Develop effective tooling, alerts, and response to both identify and address Availability risks
Engage with product engineering teams to triage production outages and carry forward action items to improve ongoing reliability
Evangelize cloud and devops-centric best practices to improve reliability and performance and cost-efficiency of our stack
Perform scalability testing to measure limits of software
Maintain up-to-date support documentation, deployment checklists and run books.
BS degree in engineering or equivalent work experience
An understanding of high-traffic, large-scale distributed systems and the ability to perform root cause analysis on stability and performance related events in such environments
Extremely curious about how things work
Able to learn from mistakes
Familiarity with continuous integration and continuous deployment systems and the ability to describe pros, cons and pitfalls of the various solutions.
Experience with automation and configuration management systems such as Puppet, Ansible, Salt, etc.
Passion for resolving reliability issues and identify strategies to mitigate going forward
Passion for clear communication, especially prioritizing concerns to align with team and business goals.
- Deep network analysis experience
What you’ll get:
Comprehensive Compensation and Benefits package
Financial Health: 401k Match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Discounts, Personalized advice, Brokerage discounts
Work/Life Balance: Sabbatical, Paid Parental Leave, New Mothers returning to work Program, Tuition Reimbursement Programs, Time off to volunteer, Employee Matching Gifts Program
Everyday Wellness: Health and Lifestyle Wellness Rewards, Onsite Fitness Classes, Healthy Food Choices, Wellness Champions
Inclusion: Employee Resource Groups, Commitment to diversity, Strategic partnerships
Not just a job, but a career, with an opportunity to do the best work of your life
Learn more about Life@Schwab at http://www.aboutschwab.com/careers/lifeatschwab/" .
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is Schwab's policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, legally protected medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, military status, citizenship status or any other status that is protected by law. Schwab also does not discriminate against applicants or employees because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. At Schwab, we believe that every employee, through their diverse abilities and experiences, can contribute to our growth, innovation and client loyalty. We embrace diversity and are committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants. If you have a disability, and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, call Human Resources at 800-725-3535. We will be happy to assist you. Schwab will only share your accommodation request with those individuals who have a specific need to know. The request for an accommodation will not affect Schwab's hiring decisions. All other submissions should be performed online.
Work Schedule: Days
Languages: English - spoken
Current Licenses / Certifications: None
Relevant Work Experience: IT-Management/Technical Project Mgmt-6+ yrs
Position Located In: TX - Austin
Job Type: Full Time
Activation Date: Thursday, June 7, 2018
Expiration Date: Wednesday, August 1, 2018